Providing solutions and containing risk.
Fraser helps put the documentation in place for a broad array of commercial transactions, including real estate related transactions. Time constraints and complex issues are just par for the course in this business, and Fraser never shies away from the challenge.
Fraser works with clients on a wide variety of issues, including real estate acquisitions, dispositions and financing, commercial leasing, and general commercial matters such as formation, organization, contract compliance and employment. A few examples of his work include acting as one of the leads in:
- The acquisition by Sobeys of the assets of Canada Safeway for approximately $5.8 billion.
- The sale leaseback transaction between Sobeys and Crombie REIT with respect to 70 properties and proceeds of approximately $990 million.
- The formation of Crombie REIT, a complex transaction involving the movement of hundreds of millions of dollars.
- The acquisition of 61 properties by Crombie REIT for an acquisition cost of $430 million.
- The acquisition of the casinos in Nova Scotia by Great Canadian Casino Corporation, which involved a unique tax saving structure.
Areas of practice
- Property and Real Estate Development
- Securities/Corporate Finance
- Mergers & Acquisitions
Nova Scotia, 1989
British Columbia, 1986
Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
Dalhousie University, LL.B., 1985
Mount Allison University, B.Comm., 1982
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Practice group leader, Commercial Real Property, Stewart McKelvey, 2008 -2010
- Director, Feed Nova Scotia, 2005-2010
Asset / Equipment Finance and Leasing
Banking (Including Financial Institutions Regulatory Law)
Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.
- Best Lawyers: Banking and Finance Law, 2013-2017
- Best Lawyers: Corporate and Commercial Litigation, 2011-2017
- Best Lawyers: Corporate Law, 2013-2017
- Best Lawyers: Real Estate Law, 2008-2017