A valued member of your team.
Twila helps employers deal with all manner of labour and employment issues from absenteeism, including vague medical notes, to disability claims to employees who are poor performers. Her experience lies in drafting appropriate policies, effective implementation and follow up.
Twila brings considerable knowledge and experience to legal issues such as respectful workplace, harassment, human rights, investigations, wrongful dismissal claims, arbitrations, collective bargaining, occupational health and safety and executive employment contracts. Twila has achieved a solid professional reputation by consistently providing top quality advice and holding herself to the highest standards of integrity and accountability.
- Acted for Canada Post Corporation at grievance arbitration and at judicial review relating to an issue involving the duty to accommodate.
- Acted for the Auditor General in a special investigation.
- Acted as chief negotiator in collective bargaining.
- Completed an in-depth review of reasons for non-disclosure of sexual harassment in a large educational institution.
- Acted for municipalities in relation to harassment complaints against elected officials.
- Acted for Katsheshuk Fisheries in relation to OH&S charges following a workplace fatality.
- Acted for Seadrill Canada in defending a Human Rights Complaint before the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal.
- Acted for an insurance company in relation to a wrongful dismissal claim by an executive.
- Acted for a secondary seafood producer before the Workers Compensation Appeals Tribunal.
- Acted for Ocean Choice International in relation to a complaint regarding labour standards following the closure of a plant before labour standards, labour relations and the Supreme Court.
- Acted for various employers in grievance arbitration including Ocean Choice International, Pardy's Waste Management, Town of Happy Valley Goose Bay, Stephenville Airport and Hibernia Management Development Company.
Twila's reported decisions:
- Director of Labour Standards v. Labour Relations Board, 2015 CanLII 86015 (NL SCTD)
- Newfoundland and Labrador (Information and Privacy Commissioner) v. Eastern Regional Integrated Health Authority, 2015 CanLII 83056 (NL SCTD)
- R. v. Katsheshuk Fisheries Limited, 2014 CanLII 50665 (NL PC)
- Hennessey v. Eastern Regional Integrated Health Authority, 2013 CanLII 8492 (NL SCTD)
- Jacobs Industrial Services Ltd v United Association of Journeymen and Apprentices (Plumbing and Pipefitting Industry of the United States and Canada, Local 740), 2012 NLLRB 12 (CanLII)
- Burke v Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees, 2012 NLLRB 4 (CanLII)
- Canada Post Corporation v. Canadian Postmasters and Assistants Association, 2012 CanLII 16991 (NL SCTD)
- Mushuau Innu Construction Incorporated v. Mushuau Innu Band Council, 2010 NLTD 53 (CanLII)
- Mushuau Innu Construction Inc. v. Mushuau Innu Band Council, 2010 NLTD 189 (CanLII)
- Mushuau Innu Construction Inc. v. Mushuau Innu Band Council, 2010 NLTD 203 (CanLII)
- Healey v. Avondale (Town of), 2009 NLTD 83 (CanLII)
- Burke v. Newfoundland and Labrador Association of Public and Private Employees, 2008 NLTD 199 (CanLII)
- Eastern Regional Integrated Health Authority v. B.A.H. et al - Publication Ban, 2007 NLTD 30 (CanLII)
- 755165 Ontario Inc. v. Parsons et al, 2006 NLTD 123 (CanLII)
- Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador v. 755165 Ontario Inc., 2006 NLCA 60 (CanLII)
- Pricewaterhousecoopers Inc. et al v. 755165 Ontario Inc., 2006 NLTD 18 (CanLII)
- Mandavia v. Central West Health Care Institutions Board, 2005 NLCA 12 (CanLII)
Areas of practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Law
- Labour and Employment
- Labour Relations
- Litigation – Public Law
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Pensions & Employee Benefits
- Workers’ Compensation
- Workplace Human Rights
Newfoundland and Labrador, 2003
Law Society of Newfoundland and Labrador
University of New Brunswick, LL.B., 2002
Memorial University of Newfoundland, B.A. (honours), 1999
- Director, Newfoundland and Labrador Employers’ Council, 2014 - present
- Director, School Lunch Association, Inc., 2014 - present
- Director, Newfoundland and Labrador Sexual Assault Crisis and Prevention Centre, 2015 - present
- Member, Section Executive, CBA National Administrative Law Section, 2014 - present
- Vice Chair, Section Executive, CBA National Administrative Law Section, 2015 - present
- Treasurer, Section Executive, CBA National Administrative Law Section, 2015
- Member, Labour & Employment Section, NL Branch CBA
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers (CACE)
- Member, Human Resource Professionals of NL (HRPNL)
- Member, Canadian Association of University Solicitors (CAUS)
- Past Chair, Administrative Law Section, NL Branch CBA 2013 - 2015
- Past Director, St. John's Status of Women Council, 2002-2011