Responsive, strategic thinker.
Candace doesn’t tell her clients what they can’t do. She advises them on how they can most efficiently and effectively achieve their goals, enabling them to minimize risks and maximize opportunities, while ensuring compliance with applicable statutory and regulatory regimes.
Whether Candace is working as part of a team on a large, complex transaction, helping the owners of a family operated business restructure, assisting a young professional purchase her first practice or working pro bono for a not-for-profit organization, Candace’s goal is to achieve the best possible results for her clients. Some of the more recent transactions Candace has been involved with include:
- The acquisition by Sobeys of the assets of Canada Safeway for approximately $5.8 billion, and related financing transactions.
- Representing the borrower in connection with a series of commercial mortgage loans with an aggregate total in excess of $90,000,000.
- Representing the purchaser in connection with the purchase and financing of commercial properties located in six provinces for a purchase price of approximately $430,000,000.
- Acting in an agency capacity, represented the Nova Scotia subsidiary of a United States borrower in respect of the refinancing of a $200,000,000 syndicated revolving credit facility and security given in respect of a $325,000,000 secured notes offering.
- Representing the purchaser in connection with the purchase and financing of telecommunications businesses located throughout Canada, the western United States and the Caribbean.
- Representing a United States publicly traded corporation in connection with the purchase of an Ontario manufacturing business and a marine engineering business with operations in Nova Scotia and Newfoundland and Labrador.
Areas of practice:
- Business Transactions
- Commercial Real Property & Lending
- Owner Managed Business
Nova Scotia, 2000
Nova Scotia Barristers' Society
Law Society of Upper Canada
Dalhousie University, LL.B., 1995
St. Mary’s University, B.A., 1986
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Co-chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Stewart McKelvey
- Firm Practice Group Leader, Owner Managed Business, Stewart McKelvey, 2014
- Member, Students’ Committee, Stewart McKelvey
- Former vice chair, Board of Directors, Black Business Initiative Society
- Member, Board of Governors, Dalhousie University
- Former member, Provincial Electoral Boundaries Commission
- Best Lawyers, Corporate Law, 2017