Rob is an experienced advocate whose practice is focused on corporate commercial litigation and administrative law, with a special interest in energy, the environment, regulated industries and project approvals. A fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers, Rob helps clients understand the legal matters that concern them and maps out the most effective and efficient plan or approach. In development projects, he provides strategic advice throughout the project life span from early conceptual project stages to final approvals, construction disputes, commissioning, operation and decommissioning. This advice includes approaches to early government interaction, community engagement and engagement with First Nations. He has acted as counsel in a wide variety of litigation before the Nova Scotia Supreme Court, Court of Appeal, private arbitration tribunals and the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board (UARB).
His practice has included:
- Litigation of major commercial disputes, including energy and construction projects.
- Applications to court.
- Municipal land use planning and approvals.
- Administrative tribunal work and appearances before the UARB on land use planning and development matters; expropriations; water, gas and electrical utility rate hearings; and hearings respecting municipal amalgamations and annexation.
- Applications for judicial review or statutory appeals from tribunal decisions.
- Advice and representation in connection with applications for approvals of projects including the Sable Offshore Energy project, Deep Panuke, South Canoe Wind Project Alton Natural Gas Storage Project, mining and renewable energy projects.
- Acting as project manager for Nova Scotia Environment to draft omnibus environmental legislation reflected in the Environmental Act S.N.S. 1994-5, c.1.
- First Nations consultation, mutual benefits agreements and litigation respecting aboriginal rights.
- Acting on federal and provincial environmental assessments including mining, off-shore development, environmental remediation and energy projects.
- Aquaculture and forestry projects.
- Representation in expropriation matters both on behalf of either expropriating authorities or claimants.
- Litigation regarding property disputes and environmental matters.