Dante practices in the areas of labour, employment, pensions and benefits. A former tenure-track mathematics professor, Dante has valuable experience explaining complex concepts to audiences of varying sophistication. He received the Osgoode Certificate in Pension Law in 2017, having completed an intensive curriculum covering corporate and institutional pension issues.
In addition to his quantitative abilities, Dante brings focused thought, determination and dedication to all the matters with which he assists. These matters include:
Labour and Employment
- Advised with respect to termination of employees or changing employees’ terms of employment, and drafting of related documents;
- Drafting and review of employment agreements, employer policies, and independent contractor agreements;
- Regional or national reviews of occupational health and safety and employment standards requirements;
- Represented employer at adjudication of s. 240 Canada Labour Code complaint;
- Represented employer at grievance arbitrations;
- Represented employers at unfair labour practice complaints;
- Represented employer at worker’s compensation appeal adjudication;
- Reviewed terms of collective agreements for legislative compliance and with respect to industry comparators;
- Represented employer at collective bargaining;
- Represented employer at Employment and Social Development Canada conciliation;
- Provided suggested updates to employment terms and conditions in view of regulatory changes.
Pensions & Benefits
- Drafting employer agreements for a multi-employer pension plan and advising on regulatory compliance of the plan text;
- Reviewing pension plan texts for regulatory compliance in response to legislative amendments;
- Reviewing investment management agreements to be executed by a pension plan;
- Representing a pension beneficiary in a dispute with respect to survivor benefit entitlement;
- Advising on legal issues regarding treatment of employees while on statutory leave;
- Advised public sector pension plan with regard to separation of pension entitlements following marital breakdown;
- Drafted, or reviewed and negotiated, terms of investment management agreements on behalf of private and public pension plan funds;
- Advised private and public pension plan administrators and funds with respect to compliance in response to amended legislation;
- Drafted amended language for private pension plan text to comply with amended regulatory requirements;
- Drafted employer participation agreements for a public pension plan administrator;
- Advised employers on constructive dismissal issues and with respect to decreased and/or eliminated benefits;
- Advised government plan administrators with regard to pensions and benefits law issues arising upon merger or spin-off of participating employers.
Dante is leading practice innovation efforts for labour and employment practitioners at Stewart McKelvey, which includes evaluation of software products, knowledge management and automation of template forms. Dante has also been invited to deliver presentations on Pensions and Benefits Law for the Canadian Pension Benefits Institute and Connex Benefits Breakfast club.