65 Grafton St.
Language(s) spoken: English
Bar Admission(s): Prince Edward Island, 1996
Legal Assistant(s): Daisha Richardson
Providing legal services through a professional corporation.
Murray practises labour, employment and human rights law, and is a Chartered Professional in Human Resources. He represents clients in education, transportation, construction, retail services, IT, government and media. Murray has extensive experience in court, at the Labour Relations Board, in employment standards proceedings, human rights complaints and grievance arbitrations. He is a labour relations arbitrator, appointed by the PEI Minister of Labour, and has presided over several labour arbitrations. Murray is a member of Stewart McKelvey’s Partnership Board, and is chair of the Firm’s Human Resources and Governance Committee. Some examples or Murray’s work include:
- Represents many of PEI’s largest employers and leading businesses.
- Represents post-secondary institutions in governance, policy and human resources issues, including collective bargaining, grievances, human rights complaints, accommodation, academic and discipline matters.
- Acted as counsel to one of PEI’s largest private sector employers in one of the longest and most complicated proceedings to come before the PEI Labour Relations Board, including multiple certification applications, unfair labour practice complaints, successor rights and common employer applications.
- Represents PEI’s largest consortium of Nursing Homes and Community Care facilities providing strategic advice, and representation on human resource matters including hiring, grievances, dismissals and human rights complaints.
- Represented a large institutional employer in the defence of a human rights complaint that raised issues of national importance.
- Helps clients prepare and implement workplace policies including harassment and discrimination policies, alcohol and drug policies, and discipline policies.
- Represents clients in collective bargaining, including acting as lead negotiator.
- Assists clients in handling and responding to workplace investigations.
- Helps clients prepare employment documentation including employment contracts, confidentiality agreements and non-competition and non-solicitation agreements.