Hilary is a litigator whose diverse practice encompasses administrative law, professional regulation, municipal law, privacy, and labour and employment. Hilary also has experience in civil litigation and has represented clients in a range of civil and commercial disputes. She has appeared before the Supreme Court and Provincial Court of Prince Edward Island, and has also represented clients in administrative proceedings before a variety of tribunals, including the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission and the Atlantic Provinces Harness Racing Commission. Hilary’s representative experience includes:
- Providing employment advice to businesses and non-profit organizations with respect to accommodation issues, wrongful dismissal actions and human rights complaints.
- Assisting with the representation of professional associations defending medical malpractice claims.
- Representing a municipality in relation to a land use planning appeal before the Island Regulatory and Appeals Commission.
- Advising clients on privacy and disclosure obligations in response to freedom of information requests.
- Preparing a privacy impact assessment for a client addressing the new collection, use and disclosure of personal health information.
- Acting for municipalities in expropriation proceedings and representing municipalities seeking to enforce compliance with municipal bylaws in the Supreme Court of Prince Edward Island.
- Assisting with the representation of professional associations before administrative tribunals in disciplinary matters.
- Acting as an agent of the Public Prosecution Service of Canada in the prosecution of offences under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act.