600-1741 Lower Water Street
Language(s) spoken: English
Bar Admission(s): Nova Scotia, 1997
Legal Assistant(s): Crystal Palmer
Rebecca’s clients find that government regulators – such as occupational health and safety, human rights and employment standards – continue to make day-to-day operations increasingly challenging. Through understanding the legal issues and the business of her clients, Rebecca is able to develop strategies and solutions that solve the problems they face. Her diverse client base includes large national companies, owner managed businesses and non-profits. Some of the ways she has helped her clients:
- Acted for departing employee in an interim and interlocutory injunction application. The Court ultimately concluded that the plaintiff had not established a strong prima facie case that the restrictive covenants were reasonable (2012 NSSC 234 (CanLII)).
- Acted for employer who hired several departing employees from a competitor. We addressed all aspects of the restrictive covenants, including a threatened injunction application.
- Frequently reviews restrictive covenants, both for departing employees, current employers and prospective employers to consider enforceability of applicable contractual obligations.
- Negotiation and drafting of executive employment agreements containing restrictive covenants.
- Preparation of materials for successful ex parte emergency injunction application relating to letters of credit.
- Successfully represented employer in summary judgment application relating to a wrongful dismissal claim (2012 NSSC 96 (CanLII)).
- Successfully represented employer in summary judgment application and appeal involving breach of a settlement agreement (2011 NSCA 20 (CanLII)).
- Successfully represented administrative tribunal in summary judgment application relating to claims of abuse of process and malicious prosecution (2009 NSCA 122 (CanLII)).
- Successfully represented employer in obtaining injunction application (upheld on appeal) to prevent union from placing restrictions on its members relating to the performance of certain work (2002 NSCA 56 (CanLII)).
- Preparation and advice relating to injunction applications.