We recognize that the preservation of our clients’ legacies is highly personal and can be, at times, an emotionally charged process. It demands sensitivity and foresight from legal advisors and a trusted team who can guide our clients through difficult decisions and ensure all options have been considered. Our Estates and Trusts team regularly works with individuals, owner-managed and family businesses, trust companies, financial institutions, charitable entities and incorporated professionals on complex and detailed estates and trusts matters and asset protection. We frequently work in tandem with our clients’ other professional advisors, including accountants and other trusted advisors, to ensure a multi-disciplinary response to their needs.
Our team regularly advises clients in relation to:
- Estate and tax planning
- Estate administration and litigation
- Asset protection
- Charities and not-for-profit entities
- Probate planning
- Business succession planning
- Incapacity planning
- Cross-border and international estate and trust planning
Our particular areas of expertise include:
- Complex estate plans involving tax-planned wills with multiple trusts, advanced probate planning mechanisms and strategies to address potential future incapacity.
- Tax-planned corporate reorganizations involving family trusts, holding companies and similar planning structures.
- Administration of complex international estates with assets in multiple jurisdictions.
Our estate planning lawyers are experienced in tax to ensure our clients receive the best counsel possible on estate planning, business succession and trust and estate administration. By thinking forward, we do everything we can to proactively create plans designed to avoid litigation. We know, however, that there are times when disputes are unavoidable. Should matters become contentious, we will advance and defend claims involving challenges to wills and estates, claims under dependants’ relief legislation and similar matters. We also regularly work with executors and trustees on all non-contentious aspects of the administration of estates and trusts.
Let us help you think of everything from estate planning to asset protection. Contact a member of our Estates and Trusts Team today.