600-1741 Lower Water Street
Language(s) spoken: English
Bar Admission(s): Nova Scotia, 2020
Legal Assistant(s): Morah MacDonald
Madeleine practices in the areas of estates and trusts, tax, real property, corporate and commercial law, and insolvency law. She strives to make life easier for clients by providing a practical, solution-focused and thoughtful approach.
Madeleine has experience working with individuals, businesses and organizations of various sizes and has supported matters for a range of private and public sector clients, including estate planning, corporate reorganizations, and transactional work for members of our Firm’s largest clients. Madeleine also has experience supporting corporate transactions of scale, secured financings, and commercial restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
Examples of Madeleine’s work include:
- Advising on the Probate Act, the Intestate Succession Act, and other processes where owners of property are deceased.
- Assisting with the administration of estates of varying complexity and value, from $200K to $400M.
- Drafting and assisting with administering trusts including joint partner and alter-ego trusts, asset protection trusts, family trusts, and testamentary trusts.
- Drafting and editing wills for individuals and families of varying net worth including complex estate planning strategies and detailed trusts for children, grandchildren and other heirs.
- Drafting charitable status applications for private and public foundations and assisting in their ongoing administration.
- Assisting with strategizing and creating tax-advantageous estate plans including drafting wills, trusts, and ancillary documents to implement estate plans.
- Real property transactions ranging from single property acquisitions or dispositions to more complex private and commercial transactions.
- Conducting research and drafting memoranda, court submissions, opinion letters, correspondence and related documents for corporate restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
- Assisting with corporate and commercial matters including mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and financings.