Suite 1100, Cabot Place
100 New Gower St.
St. John’s, N.L.
Language(s) spoken: English
Bar Admission(s): Newfoundland and Labrador, 2013
Legal Assistant(s): Sharon Tucker
Matthew provides corporate, commercial and litigation services to construction, energy and natural resources clients, amongst others. Matthew has significant experience advising a broad range of clients on construction and procurement matters in both the public and private sectors and leads seminars on procurement best practices.
With nearly two years’ experience as in-house counsel in the energy sector, Matthew understands client expectations and the value of practical solutions.
Matthew’s representative experience includes:
- Procurement: Drafting requests for expressions of interest, requests for qualifications, tenders and requests for proposals. Advising owners and bidders on all matters related to procurement, including public procurement requirements, methods of bid solicitation, bid evaluation procedures, bid compliance, subcontractor issues, contract award, bid rejection procedures, and disputes related to bid rejection.
- Construction: Advising owners, contractors, engineers, subcontractors and suppliers on a range of issues, including tendering and procurement, contract drafting and negotiation, mechanics’ liens, disputes, and commercial and subdivision development. Matthew has successfully negotiated the resolution of a multi-million dollar dispute between an owner and contractor, saving his client the time and expense associated with formal mediation and arbitration. Matthew also provides clients with strategic advice for navigating changes to contractual and commercial circumstances while projects are ongoing, with a view to avoiding future disputes.
- Energy: Advising owners and developers of clean energy projects on a range of issues, including regulatory processes for securing land and development rights, regulatory frameworks for the purchase and sale of energy, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts related to the purchase, sale, and transmission of energy.
- Natural Resources: Advising mining clients on transactional, contract and regulatory matters, and representing client interests in administrative proceedings.
- Commercial Transactions: Acting for buyers and sellers of businesses in asset and share transactions. Acting for lenders and borrowers in financial transactions.
- Corporate Formation/Reorganization: Advising on corporate organization and governance.
- Litigation: Acting for clients in court proceedings and private arbitrations on a wide range of commercial matters.