Julie’s practice is focused on professional regulation & discipline and health law, including acting as counsel for the Canadian Medical Protective Association and its members throughout New Brunswick. She also maintains a general litigation practice and acts for casualty insurers, life and disability insurers, and professional liability insurers. Julie represents her clients in matters before various levels of court and tribunals and by effectively negotiating out-of-court settlements in their best interests. Julie is a frequent speaker on health law and is Chair of the Canadian Bar Association National Health Law Section.
Some of Julie’s experience includes:
- Representing regulated professionals in a broad-range of investigations and proceedings, including on matters relating to professional conduct, fitness to practice, ethics, privacy and access, workplace harassment or disruptive behaviours, audits, and standard of care.
- Representing regulated professionals in emergency and interim measures proceedings.
- Securing non-disciplinary outcomes for regulated professionals facing complaints.
- Advising regulators on procedural fairness and compliance with public interest mandates.
- Advising regulators on drafting public interest policy and legislative frameworks.
- Advising decision-makers in the adjudication of professional discipline proceedings.
- Prosecuting complaints on behalf of professional regulators.
- Representing a regulator in a public inquiry.
- Defending professional liability civil claims.
- Defending casualty, life and disability insurance claims.