Daniel is a problem solver. Drawing on his background in strategic operations and legal project management, Daniel brings an innovative, solutions-focused perspective to his practice. His practical, people-driven approach enables Daniel to provide creative, business-minded legal advice to serve his clients’ needs, and protect his clients’ interests. With a detail-oriented focus on risk management and governance, Daniel helps his clients navigate their local, national, or global business opportunities and challenges.
Daniel was recently seconded for a year to a global downstream energy company as a legal operations consultant and in-house counsel. He developed and implemented matter tracking and delegation tools, document and contract lifecycle management solutions, and an invoice and budget tracking platform to support the in-house team’s operations. Daniel also created and deployed a series of contract playbooks designed to engage and support non-lawyers in negotiating standard form contracts. He also acted as lead advisor on the acquisition of a regional network of retail fuel stations, and supported the due diligence process behind a US$1.5 billion multi-facility syndicated refinancing.
As a member of Stewart McKelvey’s Practice Innovation team and the firm’s diversity, equity, and inclusion committee, Daniel is working to build a more responsive, inclusive, forward-thinking legal profession.
Daniel has experience advising and assisting with:
- The negotiation and drafting of complex commercial agreements, including:
- a master services and license agreement for the use of biometric identity verification software by a major North American airline;
- an art exhibition and loan agreement facilitating a multi-year touring exhibition of original artwork;
- procurement, supply chain, and project management agreements related to the design, construction, and delivery of industrial equipment;
- dealer agreements for the operation of retail fuel stations and convenience stores under a variety of ownership models;
- master services and subscription agreements and general terms and conditions for the provision of Software-as-a-Service products, including blockchain- and artificial intelligence-based platforms;
- non-disclosure agreements, privacy policies, and information security and data protection agreements; and
- shareholders’ agreements and advising on related corporate governance matters.
- The implementation and drafting of tax- and corporate governance-driven reorganizations, including:
- the incorporation, amalgamation, continuance, and dissolution of limited and unlimited companies across Canada;
- the redemption, repurchase, and issuance of shares and debt instruments; and
- the return of capital and declaration of dividends.
- The acquisition and disposition of part or all of the assets or shares of businesses, and the associated corporate records review and due diligence reporting, including:
- the acquisition of a regional network of retail fuel stations;
- the potential acquisition of a regional air carrier;
- the acquisition of the assets of a regional fulfilment center operation;
- the potential acquisition of a network of retail pharmacies; and
- the acquisition of a regional transportation and logistics company.