Environmental & Natural Resources
Natural resources, including fisheries, agriculture, forestry and mining, have historically been the foundation of the economy in Atlantic Canada. In recent years, power generation and oil and gas production and distribution, including the development of the offshore, have had a positive economic impact on the region. Today, we are seeing a resurgence in the mining industry as well as the growth of new resource-based enterprises, such as aquaculture, renewable energy initiatives, and the harnessing of the power of oceans and ocean products. In order for these industries, whether established or emerging, to be sustainable, they need experienced legal counsel to help navigate the attendant regulatory regimes within which they must operate. If you are involved in an industry dependent on the region’s natural resources such as base minerals, forestry, oceans and ocean tech, iron, gypsum, salt or fossil fuels, our lawyers can provide both legal and strategic advice.
Stewart McKelvey lawyers will draw on years of experience counselling resource-based businesses, individuals, and enterprises throughout the natural resources and environmental sectors in Atlantic Canada to give you the best advice. Our experience and expertise include:
- Mining law matters, including the issuance of mineral titles and related surface rights, mineral rights, transactional matters of all types and securities law advice.
- Wind farm project development and management, including environmental assessment and the full range of governmental title issuances and permitting.
- Knowledge and respect for aboriginal title and rights claims, as well as the conclusion and implementation of impact and benefit agreements and aboriginal partnerships and co-ventures.
- Advice to the key players in offshore oil production projects, in addition to acting regularly for oil refineries and transshipment facilities across Atlantic Canada.
- Being the trusted advisor to the largest aquaculture business in the region.
Throughout the year, our environmental and natural resources lawyers provide written insights and updates on recent case law and legislation in the region and beyond. To learn more about relevant topics, click on one of the following titles:
- Saint John
- St. John's
Partner & Trademark Agent
James M. Dickson,
J. Paul M. Harquail,
Saint John, N.B.
Gérard La Forest,
Colm St. Roch Seviour,
St. John's, N.L.
Managing Partner, St. John's
St. John's, N.L.